Monday, February 14, 2011

Thing 11 - Let the show begin!

I chose to not use my Thing 10 photos to create a slideshow. I wanted to experiment creating a simple story of energy transfers throughout the day and a life of Albert the Pig, so I found different images.  His day starts with a hearty breakfast, followed by frolicking in the mud with his brothers, teasing the chickens behind the barn, and ending in a much needed nap.  I really enjoyed using slide.com!  The only downside I came across was my need to use lots of words does not work with the captions.  There is only limited space, so I had to do quite a few re-writes!!!  Please see all attributions below the show, which includes links to the original image and author's page.  I used all images that could be adapted, just in case the captions fell into that category.  I hope I did not mess up the Creative Commons on the images! 




Photo 1 (eat breakfast): Photo by Brandi Jordan at http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandijordan/4692094380/in/gallery-59548637@N06-72157625926674213/

Photo 2 (exercise): Photo by garethjmsaunders at http://www.flickr.com/photos/garethjmsaunders/2172048556/

Photo 3 (cluck): Photo by johnmuk at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jm999uk/187980686/

Photo 4 (nap): Photo by ceiling at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ceiling/394167440/in/gallery-59548637@N06-72157625926674213/

3 comments:

  1. This is too cute and a great idea for many grade levels. (I am thinking a real world link to Charlotte's Web or a million other pig stories :) I like the "old movie" format to the pictures as well. I agree that the caption option is not the best on slide... guess it's made for short and to the point captions like names, etc. There are so many slideshow options out there, one of them has to have a "large caption" capability. I tried using SlideShare, which makes embed-able slideshows from PowerPoint Presentations, which would enable larger captions

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great clip that our students could really learn from! What makes it even better is the pigs, because you have pigs all over your classroom. You and your students could relate to the video and the content!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great slide show! What a concise way to teach students some basic information about energy....and who doesn't love pigs! The effects in your slide show added to the "farm" vibe.

    I was frustrated with the captions on slide.com as well. For my own slideshow, I couldn't fit in everything that I wanted to write. Also, I wish I could have found a way to put the photo credit with the picture in the show AND my own separate caption about the picture. I probably need a little more practice with slide.com to work out all the kinks.

    ReplyDelete