Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Thing 21-Share Everyone!

For my Slideshare debut, I chose to show an online tool I found based on an online tool I was introduced to in class (confusing huh? Love it!).  In Thing 12, I was introduced to wallwisher.  I did not blog about my exploration, but was inspired by reading other blogs to create a wallwisher adventure.  I made a wall for a test review where my students could post questions/answers to help one another study. I also posted some questions for them to think about and answered some of their questions.  My students and I loved it since they were not studying by themselves.  However, the site crashed…a lot.  It was not helpful if we could not access it.  So I went hunting for a new wall and found Stixy!  It is amazing and it has post-its (or sticky's)…with different colors!  (The office supply obsessed person inside me cannot get enough!).  It is great for both personal and professional use because you can share the “wall,” make it private, or make it password protected.  By the way, it is FREE!  My favorite word!

My view on Slideshare is rather complicated right now.  I like the concept of it, but it was a trial and error process.  The first presentation I upload, the font got changed and so did my formatting.  I went exploring then and I saw that I could upload a PDF, so that is the option I went with.  Nothing got changed or moved the second time…it was exactly the way I wanted it!  I usually upload my presentations using Google Docs and the students can watch it there or print it.  With Slideshare, I do not have to go through as many steps and it looks just the way I want it to (in PDF format that is).  I really like being able to embed the presentation!  Makes my blog engaging-looking! I can see using Slideshare as a way of students turning in presentations they make, which they either email me or embed in their blogs.  Slideshare is great for not having to juggle all the flash drives, hoping I got everyone’s project on my desktop.  It is quick and easy way to upload and share.  I give it 4 Stars (Minus 1 Star for the changing of my layout)!

 

2 comments:

  1. This is so PRETTY! :)

    I'm actually reading this before trying to do one myself. Now that I've read your blog I can know ahead of time that it may take a little work. Jing was driving me crazy so I needed a break before starting slideshare. We'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome... you need to share stuff like this in PLC... this is stuff we can all use. Share the stuff you create with other!

    ReplyDelete